Snapchat Series: Getting Started for Law Enforcement
In this episode of the Law Enforcement Social Media Podcast, Mike and I talk about how to get started with Snapchat with your agency.
Snapchat For Law Enforcement
What's the latest?
- 100 mill daily users
- 60% users contributing daily content
- 9000 snaps per second
- Daily video views 10 billion
- 73% are millennials
- 77% are college students
- Value $16 billion
Why do we need it?
- 73% users are mill 77% college students
- You don’t use yesterday's tools to reach audience
- Easily humanizes the brands: #1 is you and #2 is your department
The Power of The Story
- Catalog events
- Requires disciplined attention and focus
- For the users, allows for easy download of what happened.
- It's real- not rehearsed, scripted, photo-shopped.
Involving The Community
- Have people participate
- Show engagement with the community
Updating With News
- Current department news
- Upcoming events
- Holiday and Special Dates
- Show non-confidential locations
- Spark interest in careers
Special behind the Scenes
- Give something they can’t get elsewhere
- Show the relationship between law enforcement officers and others
Other Ideas and Thoughts
- Ability for people to ask a question without harm or trolls, haters, self-bolstering; then answer for the benefit of all
- Virtual ride alongs, mini messages and steer towards other sources like FB live or Periscope for longer explanation
- Force people to pay attention to your story; if they don’t watch today they might miss something
- Employee representation of the department; advocates
- Can you engage applicants by showing what your department is like on a day-to-day basis?
To listen to the show now, click below.
We hope you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to subscribe to the show and leave us a comment.