When that unfortunate day arrives and you leave the earth, your life on Facebook can continue on, thanks to the "Legacy Setting" now found on the Facebook platform.
If you follow these simple tips to keep your page alive (no pun intended), you will live on among your friends.
- Click on the upside down triangle on the right side of the blue bar at the top of your Facebook page.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on Legacy Contact.
- Enter the name of the person you wish to manage your account once you pass away.
- Select whether you want to send them a message notifying them of your decision.
How Does It Work
It feels kind of strange writing instructions in which you literally will not be able to follow, but oh well, if you have to know how it works, here you go...
- Upon your passing, a family member or friend can submit a Memorialization request here.
- Once the page is memorialized, your legacy contact will be able to do certain things like; Write a pinned post for your profile, respond to new friend requests and update your profile picture and cover photo.
How To Manage A Memorialized Page
If you are a legacy contact for someone, you can manage the page by:
- Go to the memorialized profile
- Click on Manage in the bottom right of the cover photo
- Use the menu on the left
For Law Enforcement Social Media Managers
We know that you have super-human powers when you're managing your program. However, it is inevitable; As a law enforcement social media manager, you will die someday. Don't let your hard work or your department's online image vanish. Make sure you are not the sole admin for your department's page, as they will be removed if receiving a valid request.