Using Google Map Engine For Incidents
Step 1 - Visit Google "My Maps"
Go to https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ and select "Create a new map." If you are not logged into your Google account, you will need to do so.
Step 2 - Create Your Map
Once you are logged in, you will be taken to a page with a large map of the United States, and a white box on the upper left side of the page. Complete the following:
- Click on "Untitled map." Once the pop-up box opens, enter a title for your map and a description.
- Click on "Untitled Layer" and enter a title of what you want to highlight on the map. For example, "Flooding," or "Evacuation Area."
- Select one of the options under the search field, like "Add marker" or "Draw a line." After doing so, click on the map where you wish to mark, or if drawing a line, where you wish the line to start. Use the zoom in/out buttons on the lower right portion of the map, if needed.
- Enter a title for the marker or line, and a description if you want. You can also add a picture, by clicking on the camera icon.
- To change the color of the marker, hover over the name of the marker or line on the left side of the map. Click on the paint can, and select the color you wish to use. If you are unable to select a color, make sure "Individual styles" is selected under the style option
- To add some text on your map near the marker or line, click on Labels. Add either a name or description.
Step 3 - Share Your Map
After creating your map, you will want to share it either on your website or blog, in an email, or on your Google Plus, Facebook or Twitter accounts.
- Change the access level to public.
- Although it is easy to use the sharing features to post the link to your social media platforms, we recommend you take a screenshot of your map, then upload this into a post. Add your map's hyperlink into the text area of the post. The reason for this is if you use the built in sharing features, a default map of the United States will be used as the image.
Step 4 - Updating Your Map
To update your map, simply go back to your maps engine page, and click on either the "Add marker" or "Draw a line" icon. Add your new marker or line, and follow the steps above for customizing it.